4 Proven Shortcuts to Maximize Poultry Profit
Poultry profit can be high or low, depending on your understanding of the principles I am about to share. If you are reading this, and you are yet to start your poultry business, I envy you. This is because you will not have to waste your time exploring. Likewise, if you have started but things have not been going the way you planned, I congratulate you because your poultry business is about to take a positive turn.
Have you ever believed that there are no shortcuts to making profit in poultry business? I would like you to erase that thought right away. I know of people who started the business, and it took them several years before they could start counting gains. Yet, I have witnessed several poultry business owners who started counting their gains from their first cropping/production. Ask me “how?” That is exactly what I am about to share with you. The tips in this post will help you to start strong with a big dose of certainty that you are in this business to make profit. And before you start to think that I am here to sweet-talk you, let’s just slide into the facts right away.
There are a few things you can do to maximize your profit as a poultry farmer without wasting your time and resources. Hang on while I show you all you need to know.
Table of Contents
1. Choose Best Breeds for Maximum Poultry Profit
Some things will never go well if you start on the wrong foundation. To a poultry farmer, your chicken breed is the backbone of your business, and if you don’t get it right, you may spend the rest of the production cycle regretting your choice. There are ways to get things right when it comes to breed selection, and they include:
- Find out the best breeds: if you are into meat production (broiler farming), you need to go for the best breeds. Ask on farmers’ forums and build on their knowledge. The same applies to layers. You should go for a breed with proven capacity for maximum number of eggs and good diseases resistance.
- Locate the hatchery with the best record: whether you believe it or not, farmers will tell you that some hatcheries have a bad record based on the productivity of their chicks. You will also need to find out which hatchery currently has the good name. This is important if you don’t want to spend the whole time treating diseases and losing chickens to vertically transmitted diseases.
- Beware of middlemen: Because hatcheries will usually sell to customers who are willing to buy in large quantities, there are a lot of people whose business is to buy and resell to farmers. Also, there are agencies who claim to have chicks from most major hatcheries. However, if you are going to deal with these middlemen and agencies, it is important that you work with the ones that can be trusted if you want to maximize poultry profit. Some middlemen will sell substandard chicks in cartons of standard hatcheries. DON’T LET THE CARTON FOOL YOU!
2. Get Best Feed Formula for Profit
This is another big one. The importance of the feed you give to your birds cannot be overemphasized. In fact, feed and water are the main elements that the birds convert into meat and also use for the production of eggs. Thus, your ability to provide your chickens with a good ration will determine the extent of your gain or loss. And here’s my advice to you.
You will thank your star for the result that you will get if you invest your money in getting a standard feed formula for your chickens to maximize profit. You can pay a professional nutritionist or buy a formula for your chickens. This is better than trying several formulas that have not been proven. Don’t take the zig-zag way my friend, follow a straight line and maximize your profit from the start. You can get feed formula from www.afrimash.com and many other places. Everything you invest in getting it right from the start is absolutely worth it
3. Use Organic Medications for Maximum Poultry Profit
Trust me when I say that I have tried this, and it helps to maximize poultry profit. And what is organic medication about? I will tell you in a bit. It’s all about replacing those costly synthetic drugs with equally or even more effective herbs and spices, and using them to combat poultry diseases. With the wave of organic poultry farming, it has been proven that there are organic substitutes for synthetic drugs.
When you make concoctions with spices and herbs and administer them to your birds, it not only keeps them healthy but also saves you a lot of money. If we say that poultry is a lucrative business, then we shouldn’t spend all the money on synthetic drugs. “How can I even try organic medications when I don’t know how?” Let’s just say you are thinking and I am hearing you. Haha! There is a COMPLETE GUIDE TO ORGANIC POULTRY FARMING THAT YOU CAN GET FOR YOUR POULTRY PROJECT. You will become the main man in the business with this guide. It teaches you how to produce the organic medication and the dosage to use for each disease, as well as for prevention.
4. Poultry Profit is Higher with Well-planned Sales
Though, this is most applicable in broiler farming, it should also be considered in egg production where farmers plan to sell spent layers. As a farmer, you are at a disadvantage when you don’t sell your birds at the right time. For instance, broilers reach market weight in 6-8 weeks, and it is usually not a cost-effective idea to raise your birds beyond 10 weeks. This means that you need to plan your sales ahead, and secure your buyers before you start to raise your birds. If you are into egg production, you need to know when your birds should be replaced; when their egg production no longer justifies the feeding cost. Be Smart!
If you want to maximize poultry profit as a poultry farmer, then you will have to practice all these things. It will help you stand out.
I hope you have learned how to increase your profit margin as a poultry farmer. Kindly drop your comments below.